Author Topic: Robin Thicke Sues to Protect 'Blurred Lines' from Marvin Gaye's Family  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Khem7

• Tight Roots
  • Blood Royal
  • Be The Example!
  • Awards No stranger to the field. A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Members Who Gave Back. Awarded to Members With Dedication. Awarded to Members With Black Pride. Awarded to Members Who Break New Ground. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
Re: Robin Thicke Sues to Protect 'Blurred Lines' from Marvin Gaye's Family
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fatima you are correct... it was a song called Million Dollar Baby

That is a straight up copy. He had to give credit for doing that. I would be surprised if he didn't. That is just blatant.

Project K

Offline Khem7

• Tight Roots
  • Blood Royal
  • Be The Example!
  • Awards No stranger to the field. A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Members Who Gave Back. Awarded to Members With Dedication. Awarded to Members With Black Pride. Awarded to Members Who Break New Ground. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
Its no secret the song sounds like Marvins. I don't know the legal mumbo jumbo but I don't think they used a sample but imitated the song. Don't know if it makes a difference. Perhaps it would have helped them if Pharell and Robin didn't say publicly that was the sound they were going for

I know you weren't talking to me, but let me butt in. That is what they did. Read my first reply, I explained it the best I could.

Project K

Offline Khem7

• Tight Roots
  • Blood Royal
  • Be The Example!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
It makes a huge difference. Plus the imitation wasnt even matched to the original song...more like a familiar sound. Which is what pharrell basically said. Like i said before...if they lose then a whole lotta other artist need to come up off some change also. Them jackson tube chiren wont have to worry bout nuthin.

James Brown's estate would prolly earn another billion if that becomes the standard. He is the most sampled musician of all time and ain't nebber received all of his financial due. All due to samples and clever compilations of previously recorded sound that isn't a cover or copy or an unmistakable rewrite.

Project K

Offline gurrlplease

• Blood Royal
  • Awards A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. Conscientious Objector Medal An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded for Superior Journalism. Awarded to Members With Dedication. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
I know you weren't talking to me, but let me butt in. That is what they did. Read my first reply, I explained it the best I could.

I was about to reply to your other post. If Marvins estate wins it will set a dangerous precedent in music. Michael Jackson & Prince alone probably have a case to sue damn near everyone who made a hit R&B record in the last 10 years alone. All Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown does is imitate MJ

Offline Kendra

• Champion
  • Awards Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Full Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded for Superior Journalism. Awarded to Members With Dedication. A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field.
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
James Brown's estate would prolly earn another billion if that becomes the standard. He is the most sampled musician of all time and ain't nebber received all of his financial due. All due to samples and clever compilations of previously recorded sound that isn't a cover or copy or an unmistakable rewrite.

Oh yeah, Khem, oh yeah?

*smile*

Offline Sami Ra Maati

• Hierophant
  • Awards Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Members Who Break New Ground. Conscientious Objector Medal Awarded to Senior Members Awarded for Enlightening The Community Awarded to Full Members Awarded to Members With Black Pride. An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
So Robin Thicke is a rapper, now?  LOL!! Now THAT'S funny!!

Him and Hannah Montana need to sit their wigger wannabe asses down somewhere.
"If you can convince the lowest white man that he's better than the highest black man, he won't notice you picking his pockets."

--Lyndon Johnson, 36th President of the United States  

Offline ablackmanx

• Blood Royal
  • Awards Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Members With Dedication. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
Was Marvin Gaye the ONLY producer and arranger of Got to Give it Up? Because he was not, perhaps the co-producers/arranger(s) of that song should also sue Thicke-Williams-Harris.

Offline ablackmanx

• Blood Royal
  • Awards Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Members With Dedication. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »
... Perhaps it would have helped them if Pharell and Robin didn't say publicly that was the sound they were going for

Yeah. That was dumb.

Offline befree

• When people show you who they are, believe them. —Maya Angelou
  • Blood Royal
  • Awards Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Awarded for Superior Journalism. An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »
Got To Give It Up Credits

Personnel

Written and composed by Marvin Gaye
    Produced and engineered by Art Stewart
    Mixing by Art Stewart and Marvin Gaye
    Marvin Gaye: RMI synthesizer bass, keyboards, percussion
    Johnny McGhee: guitar
    Fernando Harkness: saxophone
    Bugsy Wilcox: drums
    Jack Ashford: tambourine
    Frankie Gaye: background vocals (first part)
    Janis Hunter: background vocals (first part)
    Zeola Gaye: chatter
    Vocal, rhythm and synthesizer arrangement by Marvin Gaye
    Lead and background vocals by Marvin Gaye

Offline ablackmanx

• Blood Royal
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »
Got To Give It Up Credits

Personnel

Written and composed by Marvin Gaye
    Produced and engineered by Art Stewart
    Mixing by Art Stewart and Marvin Gaye
    Marvin Gaye: RMI synthesizer bass, keyboards, percussion
    Johnny McGhee: guitar
    Fernando Harkness: saxophone
    Bugsy Wilcox: drums
    Jack Ashford: tambourine
    Frankie Gaye: background vocals (first part)
    Janis Hunter: background vocals (first part)
    Zeola Gaye: chatter
    Vocal, rhythm and synthesizer arrangement by Marvin Gaye
    Lead and background vocals by Marvin Gaye

Thanks for posting the credits. Based on what you have presented, I might argue that Art Stewart or his estate should sue too.

Offline lamythest

• Blood Royal
  • Awards A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. A map to glory. Awarded to Hero Members An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »
hope the gaye family wins...need to stop stealing our folks songs and not given them their monetary credit
my new jam

Offline honeycombmmmgood

• Awards Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »
Ok, I just listened to this 'Blurred Lines' for the first time. I don't know who in the heck Thicke and 'em are trying to fool, but even after the first few notes, the the song immediately reminded me of Marvin Gaye's 'Got To Give It Up'.  So the family (IMO) should get justice.

missd28339

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
I read this coontastic article on messance.. yes the songs are very similar.. the audacity of robin thicke.. what sickens me is there are black folks that are riding out for that wigger.......... yet another case of a white person coopting and profiting off of black music.. enough already..... :sign0137:

Coffee Talk: Robin Thicke Files Lawsuit Against Marvin Gaye's Family
See why we're adding extra cream to our coffee.  no not really......wth?!

•Robin Thicke is headed to court to protect his summer hit, "Blurred Lines," from Marvin Gaye's family. Thicke, alongside co-writers Pharell Williams and Clifford Harris Jr. filed a lawsuit Thursday against the Gaye family and Bridgeport Music, which owns Funkadelic's compositions, for claiming the song was not original. Gaye's family and Bridgeport have complained that "Blurred Lines" and Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" sound similar and they say there are similarities between "Blurred Lines" and Funkadelic's "Sexy Ways." They have threatened to take the artists to court if they refuse to pay a settlement. Before any action could be taken by the Gayes, the three artists took the matter into their own hands and filed a suit to determine each group's rights and obligations. In court documents the plaintiffs say that although they are inspired by Gaye's classic records, "Blurred Lines" was an original song. Thicke, Williams and Harris Jr. are hoping that a judge can declare that their song doesn't go against the defendants' rights. [The Hollywood Reporter]

Offline lashid4u

• Blood Royal
  • Awards A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. A map to glory. Awarded to Hero Members An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Members With Black Pride. Awarded for Superior Journalism. Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:42 AM »
Befree, wouldn't this be the second Marvin Gaye rip off? I don't care for this dude or his music however I could have sworn I heard a song by him that sound like "Trouble Man" last year sometime...

That's what I was saying ..I remember this friend of mine, who LOVES some Robin Thicke, comparing him to Marvin Gaye, even (and this was before the "Blurred Lines" song), and facebooking me a song, that sounded like "Mercy Mercy Me"

..and when I heard "Blurred Lines" , RIGHT AWAY, I heard "Got to Give it Up" - nothing was "blurred" about that! ..and it's pissing me off, seeing white folks post in Marvin Gaye's ytube video of the song (which they, more than likely, NEVER came to, before), that the song sounds NOTHING LIKE Marvin's, even if there's a "slight" similarity! SAY WHAT?!  :duh:

They sound like Vanilla Ice, saying "It's not the same", referring to his song and Bowie & Queen's song, simply because there was a lit' thing added, or subtracted...LOL

AND HE'S THE ONE SUING THE GAYE'S? HE AND PHARRELL ARE SHOWING VERY LITTLE RESPECT FOR MARVIN - THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN BE TOUCHING HIS MUSIC, BEING IN SUCH DENIAL LIKE THIS!

Offline 910

• Hierophant
  • Proud to be BLACK.
  • Awards Awarded to Hero Members An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »

I agree with every thing you have posted in this thread. I couldnt have said it better  :grin:

Offline gurrlplease

• Blood Royal
  • Awards A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. Conscientious Objector Medal An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded for Superior Journalism. Awarded to Members With Dedication. Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
The nerve of Robin but I think its less about race than those racist youtubers make it out to be. If Gaye's family wins R&B and Hip Hop will take the biggest hit because they haven't made anything original in years and there is entirely too much sampling. I know everyone is inspired but they have been lifting entire songs now. Hip Hop is all sampling

Offline kaymarie770

• Awards An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions.
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
When I first heard Blurred Lines, I thought it was a remix of Got to Give it Up. All of them involved in that rip-off know like I know they intended for Blurred to have elements of the old joint. Why do this to any artist, in spirit or in flesh, but especially Marvin Gaye? His songs are multi-generational and that alone deserves to be respected.

Offline lashid4u

• Blood Royal
  • Awards A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Established a crushing superiority on the field. A map to glory. Awarded to Hero Members An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions. Awarded to Members With Black Pride. Awarded for Superior Journalism. Awarded to Senior Members Awarded to Full Members
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
So Robin Thicke is a rapper, now?  LOL!! Now THAT'S funny!!

Him and Hannah Montana need to sit their wigger wannabe asses down somewhere.

:043: :043:

Don't get me wrong, Pharrell did a pretty good job on the song - if you're gonna copy from a song, that's how you do it ...but to say this AINT taken from Marvin Gaye, denying that the song is not original ..??? ...They need to quit playin'! Even those background songs, like, someone making vocal noises, partying at a BBQ, or something, is copying Gaye's song (you hear that "WOOOO!")

Offline casey18735

• Noble
  • Awards A map to glory. A chest full of treasure. Won Their Spurs. No stranger to the field. Awarded to Full Members Awarded to Hero Members Awarded to Senior Members An Award of appreciation for all members of Black Visions.
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:24 AM »
hope the gaye family wins...need to stop stealing our folks songs and not given them their monetary credit

Yes, indeed!
FUCK FLORIDA!

Offline choclatcovrdcherries

• Hierophant
  • Hello! My name is....
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »

If the legal parameters don't fit, then the Gaye family "Got To Give It Up." 

Simple as that.

It can be as "reminiscent" of any other song, beat, or "era" as they can legally skirt.

Some Purists may not like it; but, unfortunately, it is what it is.

Offline ablackmanx

• Blood Royal
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »
If the legal parameters don't fit, then the Gaye family "Got To Give It Up." 

Simple as that.

It can be as "reminiscent" of any other song, beat, or "era" as they can legally skirt.

Some Purists may not like it; but, unfortunately, it is what it is.

Perhaps. But I think this is going to be a Pyrrhic Victory for Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. Because we all KNOW that's MARVIN'S song they are singing. And a court victory ain't going to change that.

• Hierophant
  • Hello! My name is....
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »

Perhaps. But I think this is going to be a Pyrrhic Victory for Thicke, Pharrell and T.I. Because we all KNOW that's MARVIN'S song they are singing. And a court victory ain't going to change that.

Not a flame will flicker. And he won't even care that the "Purists" don't like it. As long as he makes money from the song, he won't care about being labeled a "biter" or a "thief."    Like Liberace said, "He'll cry all the way to the bank." 

As long as his fans [whoever they are] continue to buy his music and sell-out his concerts in spite of this controversy, he won't care.

Many singers and musicians have copied someone else's work or style, tweaked it a little and made it their own creation no matter how much or little is borrowed from elsewhere.

Many believe that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

It's just that some of us feel like a body of music or a particular musician, singer, group or band BELONG to us and our generation or era.

So, no, we may not LIKE it; but if there is no Copyright Infringement, there is nothing to stop him or anyone else in these practices.

Offline ablackmanx

• Blood Royal
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
Not a flame will flicker. And he won't even care that the "Purists" don't like it. As long as he makes money from the song, he won't care about being labeled a "biter" or a "thief."    Like Liberace said, "He'll cry all the way to the bank." 

As long as his fans [whoever they are] continue to buy his music and sell-out his concerts in spite of this controversy, he won't care.

Many singers and musicians have copied someone else's work or style, tweaked it a little and made it their own creation no matter how much or little is borrowed from elsewhere.

Many believe that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

It's just that some of us feel like a body of music or a particular musician, singer, group or band BELONG to us and our generation or era.

So, no, we may not LIKE it; but if there is no Copyright Infringement, there is nothing to stop him or anyone else in these practices.

I suspect you are correct that it is not legal infringement. And now that Thicke has "crossed over" into the good graces of White music fans, for now all will be all good for Thicke and his bank account.

But this preemptive suing against Marvin's estate is a mistake. The legal advisors of Marvin's estate likely already know they have no LEGAL claim to Thicke's song and would have, eventually, let it go sans court and the public spectacle.

But this preemptive suing brings more attention to this matter than might have occurred. It taints him and bring suspicions about OTHER aspects of his work that might, indeed, be of questionable origin. And if he has, indeed, done some dicey sampling/copying, that's going to eventually catch up to him.

But, I suppose, what they have done is good because it brings more attention to Marvin Gaye's musical legacy. So in that respect, Marvin's estate wins and fans of TRUE music wins.

• Hierophant
  • Hello! My name is....
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

I suspect you are correct that it is not legal infringement. And now that Thicke has "crossed over" into the good graces of White music fans, for now all will be all good for Thicke and his bank account.

But this preemptive suing against Marvin's estate is a mistake. The legal advisors of Marvin's estate likely already know they have no LEGAL claim to Thicke's song and would have, eventually, let it go sans court and the public spectacle.

But this preemptive suing brings more attention to this matter than might have occurred. It taints him and bring suspicions about OTHER aspects of his work that might, indeed, be of questionable origin. And if he has, indeed, done some dicey sampling/copying, that's going to eventually catch up to him.

But, I suppose, what they have done is good because it brings more attention to Marvin Gaye's musical legacy. So in that respect, Marvin's estate wins and fans of TRUE music wins.

I think his suit was a power play and a counterpoint.  He wants the claims from the Gaye estate, etal to be unequivocally shot down.  His opponents may not have filed suit first; but they did "fire the first shot." They are the ones who started this chain of events with their allegations. They initiated the controversy. They made it a "public spectacle."

I think this suit is his way of saying, "Well, you started it but I'm gonna end it."

Offline ablackmanx

• Blood Royal
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
I think his suit was a power play and a counterpoint.  He wants the claims from the Gaye estate, etal to be unequivocally shot down.  His opponents may not have filed suit first; but they did "fire the first shot." They are the ones who started this chain of events with their allegations. They initiated the controversy. They made it a "public spectacle."

I think this suit is his way of saying, "Well, you started it but I'm gonna end it."

The "allegations" started when those of us who know better first heard their song. And they also started when when they admitted to trying to create a song like Marvin's. So even if the court decides in Thicke's favor, the taint and suspicions won't end.

But he is a White man who has now been 'accepted' by White fans. So he will be alright in White America.